Time: Friday, June 11th 2021 2100hrs
The Euros are finally upon us and the beautiful game is back on with Turkey and Italy having the honors of kicking offf the UEFA Euro 2020 Tournament. The match shall commence on June 11th, 2021 at 22:00. The host İtaly are looking forward to start the event in strong form while also Turkey exhibiting excellent form you may expect a action packed match between the two nation at the Stadio Olimpico Rome (İtaly).
They are taking part in their 5th Euro championship tournament, also they managed to reach the semi-finals in 2008 after one of their best seasons ever in the Euros. Their manager Senols Gunes is leading the team as the head coach for the second time in a major tournament after the World Cup in Russia three years ago. Hee also led Turkey in 2002 to the third place position in the same tournament. The nation also lost 2-1 in the Euro 2002 tournament to Italy. They conceded only three goals in their ten qualify matches and Gunes’ men have exhibited world-class defending. Turkey have lost all their four opening matches in UEFA Euro tournaments. Italy have only kept one clean sheet in the Euro 2016 match against Czech Republic.
National squad and positions
Popular names have been picked in the 26 men team and they include the following;
- Goalkeepers: Cakir, A. Bayindir and M. Günok (GK)
- Defenders: Söyüncü, M. Demiral, O. Kabak, k. Ayhan (CB). U.. Meras, R. Yilmaz (LB) Z. Čelik and M. Müldür (RB)
- Midfielders: Yokuslu, T. Antalyali (DM). O. Kökcü, O. Tufan, I. Kahveci, D. Toköz, (CM). H. Calhanoglu and À. Ömür (AM).
- Attackers: Aktürkoglu (LW) C. Ünder (RW) H. Dervisoglu, B. Yilmaz (c) , K. Karaman, E. Ünal(CF).
No injuries reported.
Form: W W W W W
Robert Mancini is the head coach picked to led Italy to victory being a former player. He featured in the semi finals of Euro 1988 and played four games scoring an opening goal against West Germany. Italy is playing in their 10th Euro tournament having first won the trophy in 1968 and finishing second runs up twice in 2002 and 2012. Italy have never lost in the Roman stadium in any major event (Stadio Olimpico) and also not conceded a single goal in any of their matches played in Euros tournaments. They are the second team after Belgium to have won all their qualifying matches for the UEFA Euro 2020 and have scored 37 goals. Giving an average score rate of 3.7 goals per match.
National squad & positions
The former Manchester City gaffer has picked a total of 26 players and they are;
- Goalkeepers: Donnarumma, À. Meet, S. Sirigu (GK)
- Defenders: Bastoni, R. Toloi, F. Acerbi, L. Bonucci, G. Chiellini (C) CB, L. Spinazzola, Emerson (LB) G. Di Lorenzo, A. Florenzi (RB).
- Midfielders: Jorghino, L. Locateli, N. Berella, M. Verratti, L. Pellegrini, B. Christante (CM), M. Pessina (AM).
- Attackers: Insigne (LW) L. Chiesa, D. Berardi, F. Bernardeschi (RW), C. Immobile, A. Belotti, G. Raspadori (CF).
Injuries: Marco Verratti and Stefano Sensi will miss out due to injury.
Form: W D W D W
Turkey vs Italy Head-to-Head
Italy 7 wins 3 draws and no wins for Turkey.
Italy to win
Over 2.5 (2.36)
correct score (1-2) (9.20)